iPad Pro vs Laptop: Pros and Cons
When Apple released new iPad Pro it proclaimed a new “post computing” era for iOS devices. Now you don’t need to have a computer that would activate, synchronize or create backups of your iOS device. But is it possible to completely abandon the use of the computer, if you have, for example the latest generation iPad Pro? Let’s see.
Undoubtedly, iPad perfectly copes with Internet browsing, reading emails, and using social networks. Even many professionals use the iPad instead of a computer to showcase their projects to clients. Yet there are several pros and cons in the battle between iPad Pro and Laptop.
Cons of using iPad instead of Laptop
- Storage and backup – When using the iPad, you certainly need to be able to store copies of some important data. Even if the new iPad Pro with 128 Gb memory is able to keep all of your files, you still need a computer to create a backup. However, instead you can use iCloud to create backups or some other cloud services like Dropbox and Google Drive.
- Lack of USB and HDMI ports – The iPad neither has the USB and HDMI ports nor the software for USB memory sticks. So it will be harder to connect your iPad to the projector or printer, or quickly share the files with your colleagues and friends.
- Multitasking – The lack of full multitasking can be a big problem for users who need to work with multiple programs simultaneously.
- Keyboard – For people who work a lot with texts, iPad’s virtual keyboard may not be as convenient as physical. Of course, there are many wireless keyboards that can be connected to the iPad. However, working with complex documents using the software for the iPad is much more difficult than on a Laptop.
- Software – Even though App Store is full of useful apps for the iPad Pro, there will always be a broader choice for Windows (and Mac).
- CD and DVD Drives – Same as USB and HDMI ports, there are no CD or DVD ROM. So, if you want to listen to music or watch movies you will have to buy it on iTunes.
Pros of using iPad instead of Laptop
- Battery life – Only few laptops can compete with the iPad Pro battery life. It will last for a whole working day and will even let you to check your email and listen to music on the way home. Of course, battery life of any device depends on how you use it. For example, running heavy apps that consumes a lot of system resources will dramatically reduce battery life. However, as was mentioned before, only few laptops can provide you with battery for the whole day.
- Screen – The iPad Pro has a 12.9-inch screen, that might look much smaller than some laptops, however it has much higher resolution of 2732×2048 pixels and it is one of the best screens considering its size and weight ratios of any device.
- Light-weight and portable – The iPad Pro is much lighter and compact than any laptop. It will not require much space in your bag and will be always at your fingertips
- Design – Apple’s design makes everything look cool and luxurious.
- User Friendly and intuitive – Even a 5 years old kid can easily use the iPad Pro. The iOS 9 is very intuitive and provides a lot of features that helps user to use the device without any computer knowledge.
Taking in consideration all of the written above I will be the last one to say that the iPad Pro is able to fully replace a laptop nowadays. There are many things that can be done on the MacBook or another laptop, but impossible to be achieved on the iPad (or possible, but too difficult for ordinary user). If you don’t want to change your habits related to work on the PC – do not hesitate to purchase a laptop. But if you are open to all new and are ready to change the usual way of things – iPad will be justified step for you.