Apple released iOS 9.2 for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch
Six weeks after the start of testing Apple has released the final version of iOS 9.2. Update is available for download on all Apple’s devices including iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Apple started to test iOS 9.2 among the developers and participants of the testing program from the end of October. In total, the company released four beta versions, the final iOS 9.2 beta 4 debuted on November 19.
What’s new in the iOS 9.2?
- iOS 9.2 update fixes several bugs of the software platform and also improves performance. Major innovation is improved streaming of Apple Music and updated Safari View Controller program component, which is now even more directly related to the Safari application.
- Updated framework. Now supports third party extensions such as password managers, so now these extensions can interact with Web pages directly from the application.
- iBook app now supports 3D Touch technology to peek and display pop-up objects on the pages of tables of contents, notes and bookmarks, as well as search results in the book. Additionally, it is now possible to simultaneously listen to audio books while searching in the library, reading books or watching the iBook Store.
- NumberSync technology is a further development of Continuity technology, which allowed to use the Mac, iPad or iPod touch for phone calls If the user’s device is connected to the same wireless network (Wi-Fi). As for NumberSync, it allows to perform Wi-Fi calls, but do not require to be in the same network with the iPhone, even though, you can be hundred kilometers away and even out of network coverage.
- Security enhancements – around 30 security patches were applied in the latest update to protect users from potential exploits and malware infections.
The whole list of changes, fixes and updates in iOS 9.2 is available here.
Should I upgrade to iOS 9.2?
A lot of tests and comparisons were performed with a fresh update of iOS 9.2 and as it turned out it is really able to increase the speed of the ‘Apple” devices. Especially noticeable effects on older models – iPhone 4s and iPhone 5. We found that iOS 9.2 widgets run much faster, also it takes less time to open pre-installed applications and open websites. The increase in the performance in the new iOS 9.2 is very noticeable and not only on the old devices, but also on the relatively new iPhone 5s and iPhone 6. Apparently, in this release, Apple wanted to optimize the operating system and they did it.
So, if you do not wait for the jailbreak, then no doubt you should upgrade to the new firmware.